Friday, June 10, 2011

Preschool

Tot School


READING...


Our main reading program comes through "Hooked on Phonics" and "ABC Reading Eggs", both focus particularly on phonics, but also integrate sight words. We add in some BOB books every now and then, as well. We have been moving pretty slowly in terms of reading. I really don't want Smiley to get burned out, he is so young! However, I think it is more me holding him back rather than him not being ready... He really loves reading as long as it is on his terms... He loves ABC Reading Eggs and would probably do it more often. He learned several sight words now, "see", "and", "the" and I want to make sure he is solid in them and not move too quickly...

I came across this cool, FREE reading program a few weeks ago, which combines phonics and sight words. It is perfect for us. The first unit covers exactly what Smiley is working on right now :)

Ready2Read
He is still OBSESSED with CARS (and can't wait for CARS 2 to come out in a few weeks). I yelled out a word and his car (I forgot the name of the car, oops), had to find it and drive on it...

We then went apple by apple and Smiley read the words. He does great sounding them out :)
We then used this cool work sheet and Smiley dot painted the correct words. He loved this. Do you think he pushed his paint hard enough ;)
We then did this apple page with our dot marker as well. He was supposed to use two different colors, based on which word family the words belonged to, but he insisted to just use one color...
BUG THEME...

I have been majorly slacking on our bug unit. I hope life slows down soon and I get to pick it back up! Smiley still talks A LOT about bees though, so he definitely remembers :)

Here we built a bug with a toy that we recently got at a consignment sale.


MATH...

I am trying to add some more math to our preschool. He does really well with counting and has one-to-one correspondance down pat. We are now working on simple addition problems. I took advantage of his love for cars and came up with this simple math game...
It was Smiley's idea to actually match the cars by color ;)

PLAY...

Most of ours days still consist of lots of play, of course. The math game quickly changed into a street building game...

Smiley even made street signs for his cars ;)


He's quite creative at storing his cars as well ;)


This is the first face I saw Smiley draw :)





The weather has been so nice that we spent a lot of time playing outside as well. (he insisted on wearing his helmet the entire time we were on the playground...)







2 comments:

  1. Fun, fun!! I love his smiley face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That me me SO happy to see the Ready2Read curriculum in action! Thanks,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete