Our little girl turned two this week!! I love the adorable Waldorf felt crowns, and of course, I had to make one for my special birthday girl as well. Her favorite colors are purple and pink and she loves flowers, so this crown is inspired by her favorite colors and flowers :)
Here are the simple instructions if you decide to make one yourself :)
You will need:
- Wool felt (I got 100% wool felt from our local natural toys store that we frequent regularly, but you can also find felt online)
- 3/4-1 inch elastic, 5 inches in length
- Embroidery floss and fun things to decorate the crown (beads, buttons, felt etc.)
- Draw a crown template (just half the crown), and cut out
- Fold a piece of felt in half and pin the template on top. Cut out two pieces of felt (one for the front and one for the lining.
- Decorate the crown front. appliquéd the birthday child's first letter and several felt flowers.
- Lay the lining on the back of the crown front and pin in place. Insert the elastic in between the two felt pieces and pin in place as well. I covered mine with a piece of fabric (2 inches wide and twice the length of the elastic).
- Begin sewing your crown together. I hand-sewed it, using a blanket stitch. I used extra stitches when sewing over the elastic, to reinforce it.
Crown your special birthday princess or prince and let the celebration begin :)
Linked to: The Magic Onions